Grandma Killed During Explosion From Gender Reveal

Spread the love

Gender reveal parties are a thing these days. Parents have different sorts of ideas on how to reveal their baby’s gender in front of their family and friends. This party always includes party poppers, smoke bombs, cake slicing, and so much more! What can possibly go wrong at this fun-filled and exciting moment?

This happy celebration turned out to be a tragedy for one family in Iowa after a grandma instantly died after an explosion during a gender reveal party.

The 56-year-old woman named Palmer Kreimeyer died after she was struck on the head by flying debris, specifically a piece of metal, from an explosive device that was supposedly meant to reveal either a pink or blue smoke. She is the soon-to-be grandmother but sadly, for this gender reveal, they used a ‘homemade pipebomb’ turned into a tragic accident.

Marion County Sheriff Department said in a statement with New York Times: “Our investigation showed that members of the Kreimeyer family were experimenting with different types of explosive material on Friday and Saturday in an attempt to record a gender reveal that could be posted on social media for friends and family.”

The family used a homemade stand that was welded to a metal base. It was filled with gunpowder that would ignite the revealing device. It was supposed to shoot out blue or pink smoke.

Palmer was standing with the others about 14 meters or 45 feet away from the gender reveal device. CNN reported that according to the police, the grandma was killed instantly and was pronounced dead at the scene. A piece of metal debris struck her with so much force and it did not stop there. It continued to soar more than 400 feet before it landed in the field.

The police also revealed that the family had been experimenting with different types of homemade devices to use. They were hoping to create the ‘perfect’ reveal. Something that their family and friends have never seen before. They want their viewers to record the entire reveal and share it on social media. But their experimentation went a little too far.

The Marion County Sheriff’s Office added, “On Saturday afternoon five family members and the expectant mother gathered and placed gunpowder in the bottom of a homemade stand that was welded to a metal base plate.”

The statement also said: “A hole had been drilled in the side for a fuse, a piece of wood was placed on top of the gunpowder and colored powder was placed on top of the board. The tape was then wrapped over the top of the metal tubing, inadvertently creating a pipe bomb. Instead of the gunpowder shooting the powder out the top of the stand, the stand exploded sending metal pieces flying.”

Everyone was surprised by the terrifying explosion. What they did not expect is for this to cause the death of their grandma. There were other family members who were also standing beside the Palmer during the reveal, but she was the only one who got struck by the debris.

Because of this tragic incident, the authorities are urging people to be extra careful when using any kind of explosive device. In fact, it is better to avoid creating any homemade device. Why not stick with confetti? Or maybe something less destructive?

This way you are sure that everyone is safe and away from any danger.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *